Residential RE investor looking to explore commercial RE

I work for a very small 3-person company in residential real estate. We fix and flip homes in California. I am primarily the support/backoffice person for the company. I analyze comps, do property management, and keep the finances in order. However, I feel like I have been stagnating, and I’m looking to make a transition.

I recently met someone who used to be a commercial real estate broker in Las Vegas (before the financial crash). He made a lot of money in the heyday but then he said he lost it all, along with a lot of his friends, when the market crashed. He told me that there’s a lot of potential in commercial real estate and encouraged me to shift my focus to commercial.

I expect to be sitting for my broker’s license exam soon (residential and commercial broker’s license is the same in CA), so once I have that, I will have the credentials, but no real or practical knowledge.

I have an MBA from a good school, I’m good with excel and finances, and I believe that I am very honest and ethical.

I know nothing about commercial real estate - could anyone lend advice on where my experience and skills could be useful? Is there a certain component of commercial RE that might be better suited to me?

Thanks!

Hey Mike,

Long time since your post but I thought I’d share a resource.

The Broker List is a site with a really strong community and sense of purpose helping commercial brokers specifically. Not saying CRE Online isn’t, just that I see a lot of activity on that site.

[QUOTE=mbaltrusaitis;892860]Hey Mike,

Long time since your post but I thought I’d share a resource.

The Broker List is a site with a really strong community and sense of purpose helping commercial brokers specifically. Not saying CRE Online isn’t, just that I see a lot of activity on that site.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I will check out The Broker List!

Although, this wasn’t my question, but I checked “The Broker List” and it has some really nice info.