connecting MH pipe to standard PVC? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Eric Webster on September 08, 2002 at 09:06:31:

I have a 1992 model home with the gray pipe with the metal bands around the connections that dont last long

connecting MH pipe to standard PVC? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Allen on April 13, 2002 at 18:45:28:

I’d have thought this question would have been answered many times but I checked the archives and found nothing.

How can MH pipe (grey plastic) be connected to standard PVC? The MH pipe makes for a perfect fit with regular 3/4 hot water PVC fittings but the regular PVC cement seems to have no effect on the MH pipe – thus the connection does not hold. I checked around with the local plumbing supply and hardware stores for an answer to the question but no one has been able to offer any solutions. Does anybody have any suggestions? Allen

Re: connecting MH pipe to standard PVC? - Posted by brad

Posted by brad on April 13, 2002 at 20:28:41:

Lowes carries and has a great display of compression fittings for this purpose. if you ask them they will tell you the grey line is outlawed but they will show you how to adapt it. cut a short peice and take it with you and the salesman will hook you up with everything you need and some you don’t if you are not watching.

Actuallly they’re two different things … - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 13, 2002 at 19:35:47:

There are the white plastic ones (I’ve used the valves, but not the couplings of that type) that Karl is calling “Quick Connects” and there are the grey plastic ones, which are the Quest (equally quick, but a different name). When I worked in the water filtration business, my boss told me the Quest fittings are more reliable than the white plastic ones, but I have no first-hand experience that it’s true. The white plastic valves I used were less expensive than the Quest valves and they were fine.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Re: connecting MH pipe to standard PVC? - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on April 13, 2002 at 19:25:01:

Try to find the white plastic Quick Connects. They compression fit onto copper or plastic and then thread together. They’re designed to connect different kinds of piping together. I buy these at Hader Hardware and the mobile home supply store.

If you can’t find them, here’s another way. Home Depot carries brass fitting of all kinds. Find a brass barbed fitting that’s threaded on the other end. Thread into a PVC threaded connector. Push the barbed end into the gray line. Compress with a metal compression ring. (This might be the one specialty item, I bought my rings and compression tool at a mobile home supply store). On the other end, glue the threaded connector onto the PVC. Voila.

This might not be the simplest way, but it will work, and that’s what matters.

Karl Kleiner

Quest compression coupling… - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 13, 2002 at 19:18:04:

A “Quest” compression coupling of the correct diameter will fit PVC, polybutalene (the grey flexible stuff in a MH) or copper. They are available to fit two tubes of the same diameter or different diameters, as well as tees, valves etc. Assemble correctly, tighten well, no glue, no pipe joint compound, no teflon tape.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Just for clarity … - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on April 13, 2002 at 20:34:00:

The grey TUBING isn’t available. Nowadays, the same tubing is clear(ish). The grey fittings are available.

Correction - Quest connectors - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on April 13, 2002 at 19:26:43:

Couldn’t remember the name. We just call them quick connects. Thanks, Jerry.

Karl

qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by JohnRodman

Posted by JohnRodman on April 18, 2002 at 01:56:58:

Thanks for the info. I just bought a 1980 mobile, the propane installer told me the qest pipe was recalled.
searched the web, found official site www.pbpipe.com
Mfg dates are 1978 to July 1995. The catch is that the recall only allows 11 years to file, after installation.

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by Sandra Menyo

Posted by Sandra Menyo on September 22, 2008 at 17:54:08:

We have qest all through oue 1993 modular home, which is starting to leak but was told those pipes was recalled, what are we supose to do, we don’t have alot of money and we are trying to fix the shower in the master bathroom, it even distoried our dry wall. plus few years back we had a leak in our garden tub, i feel so bad, i was the one wanted this home and now i’m getting the blame for these leaks because it’s from trailer people. please what can be done. thank you mrs. menyo

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by Nancy Forsyth

Posted by Nancy Forsyth on September 14, 2002 at 13:32:25:

Just had another leak. Under kitchen sink. Hope my kitchen floor doesn’t have to be replaced.

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by Larry ken Bridier

Posted by Larry ken Bridier on September 06, 2002 at 18:03:24:

I bought a 1994 Fleetwood Mobilehome it has the gray pipe with brass fittings.The numbers on the gray pipe is Qest E-pb2110-4137,Astm D 3309, B-137.08 Potable tubing

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by Thomas L Bacca

Posted by Thomas L Bacca on September 05, 2002 at 09:23:42:

I own a 1992 Mobile Home w/ PB piping.(Fleetwood)
What do I need to do.

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by John Latchford

Posted by John Latchford on August 29, 2002 at 08:48:21:

!992 pipe was installed in my house. Still have pipe in house What should i do

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by JIMMY SUSAN MORSTATTER

Posted by JIMMY SUSAN MORSTATTER on August 27, 2002 at 08:15:20:

WE HAVE A 1995,GOT IT NEW,WE HAVE THE PIPE AND OUR BATHROOM HAS BEEN ALOT OF THE TROUBLE,ALOT OF DAMAGE TO IT,NOW THE KITCHEN, WHAT CAN WE DO

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by keivn twilley

Posted by keivn twilley on August 24, 2002 at 20:22:31:

we have this quest pipe in our home have had some prolems. seen the add on tv for posable replacement
what do we need to do thanks kevn twilley

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by walter neil

Posted by walter neil on August 22, 2002 at 18:12:00:

How can i get this pipe replace in my home. When we bought this house in 1993 the pipe was already installed. it has not leake as of yet. can I get it replace even if it has not leek in any place as of yet.

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by jean pearce

Posted by jean pearce on August 22, 2002 at 17:55:33:

we bought our mobile home in 1992. should it still be covered? It is not paid for in full yet and the sinks have always leaked.

yock!!

jean

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by Jane Brantner

Posted by Jane Brantner on August 22, 2002 at 15:01:14:

We had this pipe in our mobile home, and had many leaks over the years. I aquired a serious lung condition caused by toxic mold in the insulation. We have since replaced this pipe with copper, but my lung condition still remains, with many trips via ambulance to the ER, and several hospital stays, the most recent, being 4 days in June of this year, 2 separate stays in 2001, April, and May, Several others in the previous years. We have not been able to find anyone to replace the insulation and barrier because of the piers the mobile is setting on.

Re: qest pipe was recalled. see www.pbpipe.com - Posted by michael a. nolan

Posted by michael a. nolan on August 21, 2002 at 11:43:23:

need more info