Lienholder property tax question

Hi,

Glad I found this forum - hope someone can help me. Been going in circles with my current mortgage/past mortgage and city tax collector. (Sorry in advance if this is long - trying to condense as much as possible)

A while back ('07/'08) I was unable to pay property taxes & sewer due to financial reasons (it was not included in my monthly mortgage payment). In late 2008 my mortgage company (HSBC) paid the past due taxes on my behalf and set up an escrow account. My monthly escrow payment included a portion going towards the past due taxes as well as my current/future taxes.

My loan was transferred to HFC in 11/10. I received an escrow statement for 2010, which showed the negative balance as well as current and projected tax payments. The negative balance has been going down since the escrow account was opened.

I rec’d my current prop tax bill and it had ‘lien’ stated on it - which I believed was for the sewer. Upon calling my tax collector, she informed me there were three liens totalling $9942 & gave me tax certificate sale #'s. I pulled these from the county website and all they are showing is the sewer. They are for $150, $360, $80 each. The tax collector emailed me a breakdown and the tax sale certificate she said was for ~$7700 states the lienholder paid prop taxes for:

4th quarter 2008
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter 2009
1st quarter 2010

I’ve been paying these out of my escrow account.

So, my question is - is the amount on the tax sale certificate what the lienholder actually paid?
Can a lienholder prepay property taxes for the next two years?

I appreciate any suggestions/feedback you can offer.

Dianne

If the property is sold at a tax sale the lender who holds the mortgage is wiped out. The lender is notified that the taxes on a property is not paid as soon as they become delinquent. In addition lenders use a tax service to always be informed. and they have to make the payment if they do not want it going to tax sale, so if it gets that far and it is sold at the tax sale then the mortgage is wiped out.

Thanks
Regards
Chantell Wilson
Site address:http://www.apartmentcafeteria.com
Apartment Rentals with user reviews, amenities and location Map.

You’re still on hook

Although a mortgage might be eliminated it’s attached debt is NOT.

So even if your lender’s mortgage is gone you’re still liable for repayment of that note you signed.