Posted by michael e. v. knight on August 03, 2002 at 16:25:31:

• “The Power of Words” with Rabbi Pliskin - When in Doubt

If you are in doubt about whether or not someone will feel
hurt by what you are going to say, remember that causing
hurt feelings with words is a violation of a Torah
commandment. The principle applies that, in doubtful
situations, one must act stringently. Therefore…Whenever
you think that what you are going to say might possibly
cause someone unwarranted suffering, don’t say it.

Excerpted from “The Power of Words” by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin

have a great day
michael e. v. knight

Creating a better business - Posted by Buck_GA

Posted by Buck_GA on August 02, 2002 at 12:44:11:

Ron:

“Now that I see what is happening with me more clearly, I will be cutting back upon my advice on this and other forums. I need to concentrate on doing my own business better.”

Let’s not get too drastic, here. Don’t let this thread get you down. Sometimes we disagree with each other’s opinions and ideas. I can only imagine how boring a place this site would be if we all agreed. We would have threads like: “I like Bronchick’s course because he is so clear”, BC. “I agree, BC!”, jd. “And I agree with you, jd”, FM_SC

Nah, too boring for me. I’d rather have someone disagree with me and offer alternative solutions than have to make decisions based on only one view.

As for your business, IF your business is suffering because you spend too much time here, you need to cut back to conduct business, but please don’t cut it out altogether. It can be a valuable tool.

Have you read “Going to Work ON the House Business, Not IN it” by Daniel Lubell?
http://www.real-estate-online.com/mm_29.htm
If you haven’t applied what it teaches, maybe it will help you improve your business.

In the Navy we had Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manuals. I think the article’s author calls it “Procedures Manual”. I had already determined that it would be something I would do in my business from day one, but I soon discovered it’s one of those easier said than done things.

I am thinking that a thread discussing the use and creation of such manuals would be beneficial to newbies (haven’t invested yet), Rookies, (First two years), Aces (5 successful deals), and veterans (Over 2 years investing) alike.

Your input and suggestions are certainly invited and welcome.

Thank you,
Buck

PS Don’t eat the trolls! or is it “Don’t feed the trolls”?

Dear Mr. Starr… - Posted by D

Posted by D on August 02, 2002 at 01:26:41:

I thought my first post was advice. I mentioned Im not an expert but have one way to make money in real estate. My advice would be to everyone interested in making money with real estate. Heres my advice; Find people who will sell their property very cheap, you will be amazed at what you can buy very cheap, people lose their homes for many reasons, dont feel bad about buying it way below market value. Dont be scared to make money, sell the place for as much as you can. The sky is the limit, everyday in your area someone is losing their property, everyday the bank forecloses on property, why cant you buy it? Everyday investors buy property and everyday investors sell property. The amount of money you can make is truely insane, people losing/buying/selling property is like a river that never stops. There are people silently lapping up the gravy in your area. Yes, GO for it! Get out there and do it. Find the property, or more importantly have motivated sellers find you. The people who learn that that property is there,realize its there, will kick butt, and the people who have preconcieved notions about real estate wont, people who have everyone telling them "people dont sell their houses that low" wont. People who have spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends that get p*ssed off everytime time they want to stop and check out an vacant fixer wont. Which person are you? Thats my advise. You claim you prefer to help other people rather than yourself and to understand whats happening in real estate rather than make money.Why not help others and yourself at the same time? Making money on a property and helping people buy a home is a win-win situation. I would say you will never completely understand all the ways to make money with real estate.Money for me is more important than trying to pick apart all the angles. If you want to help everyone but yourself join the peace corp. I have older and younger brothers who will never understand what I do with real estate, some people dont get it. Some people will take longer than others. I have no insight on that other than to say directing newcomers to a post that tells them it takes 10-15 years to become successful is in my opinion, wrong. I hope you read my posts carefully about learning from anyone, Im not judging anyone for trying to help others,I appreciate the time and effort I see you put forth with folks who come to CREonline and I hope my post doesnt seem like an attack. I just completely disagree with some things you said. Im sorry to say that I feel only those who have done what Ive been able to do will understand and relate to what Im saying. These days my time is more important than anything, if its not related to real estate, more importantly finding property, Im not interested. The only reason Ive been lurking about is because Im on a 30 minute evacuation notice so Im sticking close to home these days. The worst fire ever here in Oregon is about 5 miles from me. In any event Mr Starr I hope to spend more time coming here, its the best place on the web in my opinion so mayby Ill see you again, I`ll look forward to it. Good investing to you! D

Opps, typing error: You are NOT him. 1st Para. - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 01, 2002 at 22:07:45:

Sorry,

I meant to say “you are NOT him.”

Good InvestingRon Starr******

Re: Dear $Cash$, $100k per month? - Posted by David Boeke

Posted by David Boeke on May 26, 2007 at 17:30:47:

Bless Our Troops

http://www.TheNextBigBoom.com/BelieveIt

Re: Dear $Cash$, $100k per month? - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on August 04, 2002 at 08:03:03:

Hello Mr D:

You have started a thought provoking discussion here. $Cash$ gave you a very good response below.

Besides one’s view of success, there’s issues of life style, personal circumstance etc.

If Mr. Starr stayed in OK, he can do flips rather easily. In the view of some, that’ll be considered a big success.

Apparently Mr. Starr prefers to live in CA, a rather hot market at the moment. According to one of his posts, he got 3 repsonses to over 900 postcards he sent, and of the 3, one seller wanted to sell him a overpriced house.

You asked me if I have done creative RE. I haven’t because I started investing in RE as a tax shelter in a highly appreciating market here in NYC twenty years ago. My wife and I had high income professional jobs and were were NOT looking for more taxable income. My wife quit her job after 10 years, and I quit after 20.

Should I apologize for taking so long? Mr. Starr’s was right on the mark in our case.

I also own RE in western MA, about 2-1/2 drive away, where my neices live. Its an area that I can do creative RE. I was going to set up shop there a year or two ago, and my neice was going to clean up her attic so I can sleep over while doing deals.

After thinking about it, the purpose of being financially independant is to be able to spend more time with the family. So why am I sleeping over in someone’s attic most of the week, and not in my nice home with the family??

Another plan was to move to FL. But with our parents reaching 80 years of age, we’re staying around NYC for family’s sake.

On the bright side, there are so many way to make money in RE, and some folks can do it in 15 months, and some can do it in 15 years. We’re still better off compared to those who done nothing, and must live on social secuirty checks and eating dog food.

Frank Chin

Re: Dear $Cash$, $100k per month? - Posted by $Cash$

Posted by $Cash$ on August 03, 2002 at 18:02:42:

D

I am not pulling your leg or chain.

You just got the point “what success means to one person, is not the same success to another person”. You visulize 500 houses as success I envision 2000 houses as success.

Just post with the other guys thoughts in mind.

Express your own opinion, but not at the other persons expense. Ronald * Starr is a poster here giving of his time to help others, just as I am, it’s that simple.

We are on the right foot now, let’s use or efforts to keep it that way.

$Cash$

“SHALOM” - Posted by $Cash$

Posted by $Cash$ on August 03, 2002 at 18:06:37:

Michael,

The pleasure of meeting you is all mine.

Being an old “Hard Shell Baptist” my thoughts to you are “SHALOM” my brother in Peace.

$Cash$

Are you the guy with the talking car? (nt) - Posted by D

Posted by D on August 03, 2002 at 16:57:47:

nt.

Ron, It is NOT me!!! - Posted by Todd (MO)

Posted by Todd (MO) on August 19, 2002 at 19:00:37:

Hi Ron,

No, the Todd that posted above, is NOT me. I haven’t been on the board in a while. I just put up a little inspiration on the main board “Serious $$$$ in this business!!!”.

I am honored that I have in some way influenced your thinking in the past. As I have noted in some past postings, we are not as much in disagreement as it may appear on the surface. I do respect you and enjoy your post on this forum, … even if sometimes I do disagree. :wink:

Good to touch base with you again, take care Ron.

Todd (MO)

Partner up with Ronald * Starr ? - Posted by $Cash$

Posted by $Cash$ on August 04, 2002 at 13:15:40:

Frank Chin,

It is my pleasure to talk with you.

I am getting ready to retire, hit the big 62 and want to start collecting Social Security before the government runs out of money.

Look’s like I will not make my 2000 houses, however it just dawned on me why don’t I partner up with Ronald * Starr, the worst case senerio is with his help and knowledge we could probably do 3 or 4 houses per month with ease.

I do not know his lifesyle but if he could live on between $12K to $16K a month I would partner up with him. We could do more houses but fishing appeals to me more lately. I do not want him to cut down in giving his valuable advice on this board, if this would help keep him here I would gladly do it.

You apparently have known him for sometime, I do not have enough gumtion to approach a man of his stature, maybe you could ask him for me, that is probably to much to ask a stranger. Oh well, it was just a thought.

Just grabbed my fishing pole and I am heading for the river, I sure hope the fish are biting today.

$Cash$

Dear Mr. Chin - Posted by D

Posted by D on August 04, 2002 at 11:32:49:

You`re absolutely right and it varies from person to person. If cash is making $100k per month after six years now, in the begining what he made after only 2 years may very well have met most peoples criteria as to what “success” is.

You mentioned sleeping in an attic, I know what you mean! Sometimes I still say what the heck am I doing this for. My brother and I went in on a property that had an old mobile home that had to be removed, we decided to put the wheels and axels on it to save a couple of bucks… never again… the idea of rolling around in the dirt under something that can fall on you and kill you no longer appeals to me. Lifestyle for me is simple now, everything is paid for, I have an alarm clock but its in the dresser, I use it once in awhile when I go fishing. Not having to do anything you dont want to is a luxury you cant put a price on, spending time with your family like you mentioned. I didnt take me $100k per month to do it, but to each his own. $Cash$ says hes only 1/4 of the way to his goal! Good for him. Thats the only thing I didnt like about Mr Starr telling folks to check out his post. Some people may be involved in real estate to some degree for long periods of time before the really get a payoff or things start to pay. But telling someone who comes to a board discussing creative real estate that it will take 10- 15 years to become “sucessful” rubbed me the wrong way.

Every detail of buying with no money down is in the archives if you dig through the posts. The kicker is finding the property, but they are out there.

Good luck to you and your family! D

Re: Dear $Cash$, $100k per month? - Posted by David Boeke

Posted by David Boeke on March 18, 2006 at 08:02:55:

What on earth are you talking about? I am seeking partners that are looking for a business opportunity where P/T efforts turn into full time income. I seek Big Thinkers that can follow a simple system to create massive wealth and time freedom. www.DavidandDuffy.YourSuccessBluePrint.com

Re: “SHALOM” - Posted by michael e. v. knight

Posted by michael e. v. knight on August 03, 2002 at 23:55:00:

hi $Cash$

Peace to you also my friend. just for your knowledge i am not Jewish, someone shared that quote with me and i thought i would pass it on for everyones benefit.

thank you,
michael e. v. knight

“we must become the change we seek”-Ghandi

lol(nt) - Posted by michael e. v. knight

Posted by michael e. v. knight on August 03, 2002 at 17:43:52:

nt

Re: Partner up with Ronald * Starr ? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 05, 2002 at 21:14:00:

John $Cash$ Locke–(NV)--------------

Well, I’m not sure I could live on that much money each month. It’s more than I’ve made before and I would probably have a hard time figuring out how to spend it. Maybe I’d buy a house on a hill in Marin County, with a view of Oakland. That should take about 15 years of earnings at the rates you mention.

Anyway, your success should be a great inspiration to beginners here on CREONLINE.COM . “Gosh, if John “$Cash” Locke can do 500 houses in six years, anybody can do it.” Hmmm. Well, maybe that is not quite right. I suspect that only a small proportion of people are as good at what you have done as you are. Anyway, I am now trying the old postcard game (to out of area “dwelling” owners) which worked for me before and will try to make a big enough chunk of cashola to quit the day job. If worse comes to worse, I think I can still quit in a year, as I have a good-sized chunk of cash I should receive then.

Meantime,

Good Investing, Good Posting, and Good FishingRon Starr***

go cash! :wink: nt - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 04, 2002 at 16:00:28:

Re: Dear Mr. Chin - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 05, 2002 at 21:02:37:

D–(??)-----------------

I apologize that the vagueness of my post has you disturbed. When I wroten that it might take 10-15 years to reach “your financial goals” I was thinking of somebody getting to financial freedom or financial independence. That is, the reader would have have enough assets to produce a cash flow that would allow the reader to stop working if s/he wanted to do so. The person would, as you put it “Not having to do anything you dont want to is a luxury you cant put a price on, spending time with your family like you mentioned.”

Now, I suspect that even with the financial freedom, the person would have to do some things that s/he would prefer not to do, such as pay income tax. But, the point was that one would be able to spend a great deal of time doing as one wanted.

I think, if you will look over the whole post that you will see that this was one little part. I did not write it in as clear a manner as I would like to have. I feel that the advice that I gave is the best that I can come up with at this time. There are so many different ways to invest in real estate, as I indicated there. There are also many different ways for a person to get to their goal of being a successful real estate investor. One prescription does not provide the proper medicine for all. However, if that be so, what advice are we to give to beginners? “Start off on your journey in your own way. Learn in that way which you have found has helped you most in the past. Keep going forward until you find yourself where you want to be.” There. I’m not real satisfied with that advice, but it seems accurate.

Good Investing and Good PostingRon Starr***

Good luck Ron! - Posted by Chris (TX)

Posted by Chris (TX) on August 24, 2002 at 12:32:07:

I hope that works out great for you!

Chris

Different views on Financial Freedom - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on August 07, 2002 at 05:03:38:

Hi Ron:

You made a good point.

Your view of financial independence is someone with enough cash flow going out to play golf.

Mr. “D”'s view is somwone quitting his job going out doing flips.

The difference is someone doing flips would still have to take calls from “motivated sellers” at the golf course. Or he may get sick and not be able to do deals at all.

I recall discussions here where it was mentioned that flipping is a way of building capital to buy real estate for long term cash flow.

So it may take 15 months to quit the job and do deals, but it may take 15 more years to sock away profits from these deals to build that perpetual cash flow from investments.

Frank Chin