self storage - Posted by David

Posted by Scott Alan Meyers on October 27, 2009 at 08:34:27:

Thank you Mr. Banks.

self storage - Posted by David

Posted by David on October 06, 2009 at 09:08:00:

Does anyone know of any courses, good books, etc on how to run a self storage facility?

David

Re: self storage - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on October 07, 2009 at 24:00:48:

1. Steve Case and Corey Donaldson’s “The Secrets of Self Storage Investing”
    http://selfstorageinvesting.net/secrets-self-storage-investing.php

2. Scott Meyers’ “Self Storage Investing”
    http://selfstorageinvesting.com/homestudycourse.html

The 1st one is a great general course, covering all aspects of purchasing through operations. The 2nd course is more about purchasing. Scott Meyers is a marketer first and foremost. He made a huge push a few years back on about every Real Estate site known to man for his course. Now they are hitting eBay, running anywhere from $100-500. It’s a better price than the thirteen hundred he wants. I would suggest you buy his course on eBay and then resale it after you’ve absorbed everything.

The Case/Donaldson course is harder to come by, but it is worth retail IMO. It’s a keeper.

Other than those two sets, the rest of the books and courses that I’ve seen aren’t very good. In fact, I feel bad for the trees that gave up their lives for the paper they are printed on.

I’ve been digging into the Self Storage market for about a year now and I may be able to answer some questions you may have. If you want to, give me a shout at dave @ rainmakerconsulting.biz.

Re: self storage - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on October 08, 2009 at 10:56:14:

Scott Meyers contacted me and wanted to let me know he wasn’t pleased with the earlier post I had made. I want to publicly and whole-heartedly apologize for any hard feelings I may have caused as nothing was meant as any personal attack on him. I was only expressing my opinion of the value of his course compared to another option.

:frowning:

Re: self storage - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on October 08, 2009 at 05:34:33:

Also, do a search on this site for posts that were created by Casey Cavell. He has self storage and is very knowlegable on the subject.

Re: self storage - Posted by Mr. Banks

Posted by Mr. Banks on October 21, 2009 at 09:28:56:

You have nothing to apologize for. You weren’t being rude. You just expressed what the course was worth to you. It seems like a decent course, but I haven’t pulled the trigger because it doesn’t appear to cover any kind of daily operations advice/strategies. Soooo, Scott, if you’re reading this, please include some self storage management material if you want my hard earned dollar. Half the items in your course I can learn for free through Google. I understand you want to present the big picture, but it seems to me you’ve left out some meat and potatoes. Just honest feedback…

Re: self storage - Posted by Scott Meyers

Posted by Scott Meyers on October 23, 2009 at 21:41:07:

I read - and, had you looked on my site, you’ll notice that I have produced a piece called the Self Storage Manager’s Toolkit. 70, yes 70 forms on a CD to be used in the operations of a facility. It also includes a complete Operations Manual for running a facility. Spent several thousand dollars paying to have a HR company co-write this with me - and if you see anything else on the market that covers more on how to manage a facility - please let me know. It’s included in the home study system, and we’ve sold hundreds as a stand alone for $277. Please educate yourself a little more before posting these to the general public, it’s not much fun having to defend why I am the nation’s leading trainer of self storage millionaires from people who don’t/won’t bother to learn about my products and services.

My mistake - Posted by Mr. Banks

Posted by Mr. Banks on October 26, 2009 at 20:37:07:

I stand corrected. I simply read the contents of the main course. You have alot on your website and I should have read it in more detail. Your operations manual looks comprehensive. Please accept my apologies.